Trazodone Tablets (Generic Oleptro)
Trazodone is a medicine categorized in the class of antidepressants known as serotonin modulators. It treats major depressive disorders such as cyclothymia, dysthymia, and bipolar disorder.
The medicine was approved in 1981 by the food and drug administration where its first name was Desyrel.
The medicine affects unbalanced chemicals termed as serotonin in the brains of people with depression.
It is recommended for an adult to take 150g once daily while in the start. The dosage amount should be increased by intervals of 75g after every three to four weeks till the dose is over.
The daily dosage should not exceed 375g, for it will be considered as an overdose.
The trazodone tablets are not supposed to be taken by teens or children; While the adults using the medicines should assure, the doctors are aware of their family history of suicide.
The tablets are supposed to be taken orally at a fixed time every day, preferably in late evenings or at bedtime while the stomach is empty.
Avoid chewing, crushing or breaking of the extended-release Oleptro tablet. In such, consider wholly swallowing of the pill, or cut it half way along the score line to ease swallowing if needed.
It is advisable to continue with the dosage until it is over even after experiencing great recovery.
Assure to keep the medicine at conditioned room temperature away from heat, light, and moisture and also out of rich of children.
Soon as an acceptable response is noticed, it is advisable to gradually reduce the dosage with constant adjustments relying upon the therapeutic intervention.
If drowsiness advances, the daily dosage should be increased to some extent as per dictated by the doctor.
It is advisable to stop taking the tablets and seek the doctor with immediate action, for medical attention if side effects appear.
Consider the doctor’s advice if experience the following;
- Hiking levels of serotine in the body which results in; fainting, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, hallucinations, fast heartbeat rate, loss of coordination, and agitation.
- A headache with pounding heartbeats, severe dizziness, or chest pains.
- Reduction of sodium levels in the body which leads to confusion, experiencing an unsteady feeling, severe weakness or slurred speech.
- A severe reaction of the nervous system which contributes to high fever, tremors, rigid muscles, irregular heartbeats or pass out feeling.
- Tunnel vision, seeing halos in the presence of light, blurred vision or swelling of eyes which might be accompanied by pain.
Side effects are categorized into two, which are common and the less common ones. Both should be handled with the same degree of seriousness for as they are both fatal.
The major or the common side effects include;
- Painful penis erection
- Dry mouth
- Altered sense of taste
- Unusual weakness or feeling unusual tiredness
- Trouble sleeping
- Suicide thoughts
- Impulsive feeling
While less common side effects consist of;
- Unusual excitement
- Experiencing breath shortness
- Muscle tremors
- Irregular heartbeats
- Feeling illness
- Ear pounding
- Lowering of concentration
- Skin Rashes
- Burning effects on the skin
- Swelling of throat, lips, tongue or face
- Tingling feelings
- Weight loss
Some side effects are brought about by medicine during the early stages of treatment when the body has not yet adjusted to the dose.
This kind of effects disappears with time as the body coupes up with medication.
These are measures to avoid while undergoing trazodone medication.
They comprise of;
- Drink of alcohol. Alcohol intake enhances trazodone side effects to the nervous system such as drowsiness, dizziness and concentrating difficulties thus altering the usual dosage. Avoid or reduce alcohol intake as guided by the doctor or pharmacist.
- Quick responses. Like getting up too fast from lying or sitting position for it might result in falling hence developing injuries.
- Haste decisions. For instances like while driving, taking into consideration that Oleptro impairs reactions or thinking, for one might end up making poor choices which result in dangerous activities like road accidents.
Consider doctor’s advice before taking painkillers or any other medicine apart from trazodone. The awareness to the doctor will help make wise decisions on which kind of medication to administer as side effects are concerned.
Trazodone medicine is capable of interacting with other accompanies while taking. These might be medicine for depression, anxiety or seizures, sleeping pills, muscle relaxer or painkillers.
There is a large variety of drugs which interacts with Oleptro harmlessly despite few which reacts negatively depending with some factors like the presence of allergies.
Ensure awareness to the doctor about all medications administered for and in times while in need to start or stop a certain accompany of Oleptro.
Use of an antibiotic such as moxifloxacin, erythromycin, azithromycin, pentamidine, levofloxacin, and clarithromycin.
- Anti-malarial medicine such as halofantrine or chloroquine.
Medication for treating psychiatric disorder which comprises of pimozide, chlorpromazine, thioridazine, and haloperidol.
- Medicine to treat cancer such as vandetanib and arsenic trioxide.
- Heart rhythm medicine including dronedarone, quinidine, amiodarone, flecainide, dofetilide, sotalol or disopyramide.
- And any other antidepressant
The ordinary medication for safe interaction with trazodone include;
Among many others which are saved and authorized to be prescribed and legal for sell over the counter.
There is also a list of disease which interacts with Oleptro.
These diseases are,
- Liver disease
- Renal disorder
- Cardiovascular disease
Alcohol interaction with trazodone leads to judging and thinking impairments.