Brimonidine Tartrate Solution ()
Drug information on Brimonidine Tartrate (Generic Alphagan-P)
Brimonidine Tartrate commonly known under generic name Alphagan P is an ophthalmic solution used in the treatment of open-angle glaucoma (high fluid pressure in the eye).This drug upon its administration acts on the blood vessels in the eye causing them to constrict which reduces aqueous humor production. This lowers the fluid pressure. It is not recommended for patients who are hypersensitive to Brimonidine Tartrate or those who are receiving Monoamine Oxidase (MAO) to use Alphagan P.
Uses and Dosage
Brimonidine Tartrate is available in solution form. The drug is administered through the eyes in form of eye drops. When using this medicine the following procedures should be followed:
- Wash your hands first and make sure not to touch the dropper’s tip to avoid contamination.
- If you are wearing contact lenses you should remove them and put them back on after 15 minutes of application.
- Tilt your head slightly and pull your lower eyelid so as to create a small passage. Look straight into the dropper with the tip pointed to your eyes and do not blink. Squeeze the dropper to allow a drop to fall.
- After applying the drops close your eyes for 3-4 minutes without blinking or squinting. Press one of your fingers gently on one corner of your eye so as to prevent the solution from entering your tear ducts.
The recommended daily dosage of the drug is three drops daily. The drops should be offered probably 8 hours apart. However, the prescription of the medicine may differ according to the doctor’s prescription. Always follow your doctor's prescriptions and directions as regards the usage of this medication. It can also be used with ophthalmic drug products so as to help in reducing the intraocular pressure.
Common side effects of Brimonidine Tartrate include:
- Eye redness and burning
- Blurred vision
- Cold-like symptoms
- Muscle pain
- Insomnia (sleep problems)
If any of the above symptoms persist then seek medical advice. In case you develop any unlikely serious effects including increased heartbeats or persistent headaches then immediately seek medical help. Inform your doctor if your body develops an allergic reaction to this product.
- If you are allergic to other related products you should inform your doctor before starting this product usage.
- Store this medicine in a cool and dry place away from moisture and direct sunlight.
- Keep this leaflet as you may need to read it over again.
- Do not drive after using this product as the common side effects of this product usage such as blurred vision can cause road accidents.
- Limit alcohol usage when using this product.
- For pregnant women, you should seek the doctor’s advice before using this product. It is unknown whether this product passes on to breast milk during breast milk. Therefore, you should consult further with your doctor when using the product on whether to breastfeed or not.
- Keep this medicine and all other medicines out of reach of the children and pets.
- Never use this medicine without the proper prescription of the doctor.
- This drug should not be shared with others.
- The color of the product in solution form is clear greenish-yellow. In case of a color change, the product should be disposed of.
- Always adhere to the correct dosage. Under dosage and over dosage can cause serious issues to your health.
- Do not flush the contents of this product into the toilet unless instructed to do so.
- Properly discard this product when it is expired or you no longer need it. When disposing you should consult your doctor about the safe disposal methods.
Doctors should be aware of the possible interaction between the product and other drugs and monitor their patients for it. The drug should not be used with antidepressants (amitriptyline), blood pressure medications or beta-blockers (timolol eye drops, metoprolol, and atenolol), muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, seizure drugs and medicines for sleep.
You should always perform routine checks on the products you use so as to determine whether they contain any of these drugs. Drugs that may interfere with the usage of Brimonidine Tartrate are wide and therefore you should consult with your health care professional about the products you take and whether they are safe.
In case of a drug overdose, you should contact the nearest local poison control center or the emergency room.
US residents poison hotline contacts: 1-800-222-1222.
Citizens of Canada should contact their local poison centers immediately in case of the drug overdose for assistance.