Omega-3 for Pregnant: Review and Facts
During the whole period of pregnancy, women have to be in a balanced diet that is rich in different nutrients. They should concentrate on the nutrition to enable a perfect growth of the pregnancy and a normal and safe delivery free form complications.
One of the things that women have been using during their pregnancies is Lovaza. The mention of the word Lovaza could rise a lot of questions like what is Lovaza used for pregnancy. The U.S. National Library of Medicine answers the question most easily, Lovaza is a combination of fatty acids that are used in tandem with diet and exercises to minimize the levels of triglyceride in the blood. The fatty acids in Lovaza are unsaturated, and they are found in fish oil and vegetables. Lovaza generic for pregnancy is Omega 3-Acid Ethyl Esters. The name Lovaza is a brand name that you see on the shelves and medical centers. In this article, we’ll be reviewing whether the Omega-3 for expectant mothers is safe and healthy for or not.
Benefits of Lovaza
We have already established that Omega 3-Acid Ethyl Esters are usually used in tandem with exercises and healthy diet. The significant benefits of Lovaza include the following:
- Lowering the amount of blood fat called triglyceride
- Raising the right amount of cholesterol
- When other methods of regulating the amounts of triglyceride (such as changes in diet, exercises, decrease in alcohol intake, weight loss if it is excess, thyroid hormone regulation) in the blood fail, Lovaza is used. Such methods are. When the triglycerides are lowered, the chances of having a heart attack and strokes are reduced.
Administration of Lovaza
A pregnant woman is supposed to take 4 grams of Lovaza per day. This is equivalent to two Lovaza capsules that should be taken two times a day. Alternatively, the dose can also be considered as a 4-gram dose, which amounts to 4 capsules.
However, caution should be taken when using Lovaza for pregnancy. It can react with other medications that a pregnant woman may be using at the time. Examples include the blood thinners, birth control pill, or even water pills. Another caution is that Lovaza used for pregnancy should only be taken when the doctor prescribes it to a patient. A pregnant woman should not just decide to use the Omega-3 without a piece of advice from a qualified medic.
Moreover, it is still unknown whether Lovaza is passed to breast milk. For this reason, a pregnant woman should consult a doctor when she delivers on the issue. This is to avoid feeding the baby with contaminated breast milk.
Facts about Lovaza
There are some facts that you need to know about Omega 3-Acid Ethyl Esters generic for triglycerides regulation in the body. Below are the four facts:
- For pregnancy Omega-3 is given to regulate the levels of the triglycerides in the body. It reduces chances of strokes and heart attacks as well as ensures good health for the unborn and the mother.
- Omega 3-Acid Ethyl Esters generic for pregnancy falls under the classification of anti-lipemic drugs. That means it decreases production of triglyceride in the liver.
- Lovaza has to be used alongside other changes in lifestyle to be effective. Such include exercises and dietary changes.
- Lovaza is treated as a drug and therefore falls under the FDA. It is not treated like fish oil but a drug that is under regulation.
Side Effects of Lovaza
Lovaza used for pregnancy has both light and severe side effects among pregnant women. If you experience any of the following, contact your doctor immediately:
- Skin Rashes
- Unusual mouth taste
- Stomach upsets
- Back pain
As severe side effects of Lovaza, the following has to be considered.
- Passing of black stool
- Vomit that resembles ground coffee
- Bleeding easily
When you notice some of these severe side effects, you should see a doctor to avoid emergent issues during your pregnancy period.
The above list shows the most common side effects of Lovaza. The effects may vary from one woman to another. In conclusion, Lovaza should be taken by pregnant women to regulate their triglyceride level. It prevents heart attacks, strokes, and other conditions that may put the unborn life to risk. However, any use of any drugs or supplements during the pregnancy must be always taken under control of your doctor. More information can be read at the FDA website.